Wednesday, May 22, 2024

AUTHOR NAME

bbc

11 POSTS
0 COMMENTS

Guardiola & Beard win manager awards

Getty Images1 hour agoManchester City boss Pep Guardiola has been named the Premier League manager of the season, with Liverpool's Matt Beard winning the Women's Super League Manager of the Season.Guardiola, 53, oversaw another historic season as City became the first English club to win four successive top-flight titles.He beat Arsenal's Mikel Arteta, Aston Villa's Unai Emery, Liverpool's Jurgen Klopp and Bournemouth's Andoni Iraola to the prize."I want to share it, yes, oh yes! Especially with Mikel for the incredible job he has done until the last game, bringing us to our limits," said Guardiola."Of course, for Jurgen, for the unforgettable battles for many, many years. And Unai Emery, making something unbelievable again to bring Aston Villa to the Champions League."And Andoni Iraola, with Bournemouth, being his first season in the Premier League, doing what he has done, coming back from the tough start of the season."Beard, 46, led Liverpool to fourth place in the WSL, their highest finish since they lifted the title in 2014.Liverpool won their final four games, including victories over champions Chelsea and Manchester United, as they finished above the latter."I'm very grateful and very humbled," Beard said."It's great to see the work we have done has been recognised as always, we couldn't do it without the staff or the players so this award is not just about me, it's about the collective so from that side it's great recognition for everyone."The Premier League title race went down to the final day of the season but Manchester City, who were already two points clear of second-placed Arsenal, beat West Ham 3-1 to claim a sixth title since Guardiola took charge in 2016.City's Phil Foden was named Premier League Player of the Season last week.It is the fifth time Guardiola has won the award with only former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson (11) receiving the accolade on more occasions."We will defend this award as best as possible in the future," Guardiola said.This video can not be playedTo play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.Related TopicsPremier LeagueManchester CityFootball

Scheffler arrest to be reviewed by Louisville police

Getty Images1 hour agoLouisville police will investigate if policies were correctly followed in the arrest of world number one Scottie Scheffler at the US PGA Championship.The 27-year-old was detained on Friday, 17 May after trying to drive into Valhalla Golf Club in heavy traffic and has seen his arraignment date rescheduled to Monday, 3 June.Scheffler was charged with second-degree assault, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding traffic signals from an officer, all of which he denies.It has subsequently emerged arresting officer Bryan Gillis had failed to activate his bodycam video before Scheffler was stopped, handcuffed and arrested, despite it being standard operating procedure.In a statement, Louisville's chief of police Jacquelyn Gwinn-Villaroel, said: "The internal investigation is still ongoing."Any policy violations that are revealed through the course of the investigation will be appropriately addressed according to protocol. The department intends to provide an additional update on the investigation on Thursday, 23 May."In his weekly news conference Louisville mayor Craig Greenberg added that "action will be taken" if policies were not being followed.Play at the event was delayed by 80 minutes on Friday because of an accident near the course, which saw a pedestrian killed after being hit by a shuttle bus.The accident caused heavy traffic, forcing some to abandon their cars on the motorway.Scheffler, who was not involved in the accident, reportedly attempted to avoid the scene before being stopped by police.The American was released in time for his second round at the US PGA Championship, with the world number one describing the incident as a "big misunderstanding".Scheffler's lawyer Steve Romines said "multiple eyewitnesses confirmed that he did not do anything wrong but was simply proceeding as directed".Videos of the scene outside the course in Louisville, Kentucky, showed Scheffler handcuffed and being guided into the back of a police car.Police later published a report into the incident which said the officer who attempted to prevent Scheffler from entering the course in his car was dragged to the ground and suffered "pain, swelling and abrasions" to his left wrist and knee.Related TopicsGolf

Pochettino on Man Utd radar – Wednesday’s gossip

Skip image galleryStariTelegraphMailTimesExpressMirror1 of 71 hour agoManchester United could be set to change their manager, while Manchester City are considering letting a star player depart...Mauricio Pochettino is on the radar of Manchester United and Bayern Munich after leaving Chelsea by "mutual consent". (Standard)Stuttgart manager Sebastian Hoeness and Ipswich Town’s Kieran McKenna have been sounded out by Chelsea to replace Pochettino. (Teamtalk)Girona boss Michel and Leicester City’s Enzo Maresca are also likely to be among the names under consideration by Chelsea. (Daily Telegraph - subscription required) Thomas Tuchel has held "loose talks" with Chelsea about returning to the club for a second spell in charge. (Florian Plettenberg)Manchester City are open to offers for Brazil goalkeeper Ederson, 30, who is attracting interest from Saudi Arabia. (Fabrizio Romano)Manchester United are exploring the possibility of signing Crystal Palace and England defender Marc Guehi, 23, if they fail to strike a deal with Everton for 21-year-old England centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite. (Mail)Manchester United are in a position to spend heavily in the summer transfer window as big losses in recent years are now dropping out of their profitability and sustainability rules (PSR) calculations. (Football Insider)Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool have made contact with Benfica over a potential deal for 20-year-old Portugal centre-back Antonio Silva. (Caught Offside)Incoming Liverpool manager Arne Slot has placed Benfica and Turkey midfielder Orkun Kokcu, 23, at the top of his wishlist. (Givemesport)Arsenal will trigger their option-to-buy clause on Spain goalkeeper David Raya, 28, making his loan move from Brentford permanent this summer for £27m. (Football Insider)Tottenham have asked Chelsea about the availability of Trevoh Chalobah, 24, as they prepare to launch a double raid for the English defender and England midfielder Conor Gallagher, 24. (HITC)Manchester United and Bayern Munich sent scouts to watch 18-year-old Malian midfielder Malick Junior Yalcouye play for IFK Gothenburg in a 1-0 win against Mjallby on Tuesday. (Expressen - in Swedish)Aston Villa have lodged a bid of £12.8m with Sevilla for 32-year-old Argentina defender Marcos Acuna. (Fichajes - in Spanish)Villa are also interested in Italy defender Raoul Bellanova, 24, after impressing during his first season with Torino, but West Ham and Manchester United are also keen. (Tuttosport - in Italian)West Ham are considering a summer move for Serhou Guirassy, 28, after the Guinea striker scored 28 Bundesliga goals for Stuttgart this season. (Standard)Tottenham will rival Aston Villa for Italy defender Andrea Cambiaso, 24, who is valued at £34m by Juventus. (Calciomercato - in Italian)Fulham and West Ham have held talks with Corinthians over the possibility of signing 19-year-old Brazilian forward Wesley. (Caught Offside)Related TopicsFootball

England captain Kane fit and ‘looking forward’ to Euros

Getty Images24 minutes agoCaptain Harry Kane has recovered from a back injury and is “looking forward” to leading England into Euro 2024, says manager Gareth Southgate.Kane, 30, was substituted in the second half of Bayern Munich’s Champions League semi-final second-leg defeat at Real Madrid a fortnight ago, then missed the final two Bundesliga games of the season.Outgoing Bayern boss Thomas Tuchel said Kane was suffering with a “complete blockage” and was struggling to move.However, Southgate says his main striker is “pretty much clear now”.“He is quite relaxed about it. I think a sensible decision was taken not to push for the last game there," Southgate added."Back problems can just happen - travel, whatever else - but it is not something we are concerned about at this moment in time.“Our understanding of it is that it is something that is pretty much clear now."This video can not be playedTo play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.Kane scored 44 goals in 45 appearances for Bayern after moving from Tottenham last summer.But he still endured a frustrating end to his first campaign in Germany, with the club failing to lift a trophy for the first time since 2012.“It won’t be nice for him and I am sure he will be aware of what people will say about that. But his love for this challenge and desire to make this work has never wavered and he is definitely looking forward to this tournament,” Southgate said.“He will of course be disappointed that he hasn’t won the league but there has been a lot going on at the football club which has been obvious from the outside.“It has been a slightly different role there I would say, as he has been encouraged to stay higher and a little bit less involved in the build-up.“But he has delivered what we thought he would deliver in terms of goals in that league and I know the club are super happy with what he has done.”Related TopicsEngland Men's Football Team

Can you name Wednesday’s Premier League winner?

20 May 2024Updated 47 minutes agoThink you know your Premier League players?See if you can name this current or former footballer from the clues we've given you.If you don't get it right first time, just press play again to have another go. And if you really can't get the answer, then go to the link below to find out who it is.What information do we collect from this quiz?Reveal the answerThis video can not be playedTo play this video you need to enable JavaScript in your browser.Where next?Related TopicsPremier LeagueFootball

Three Britons knocked out of French Open qualifying

Getty Images44 minutes agoHeather Watson was one of three Britons to lose in the first round of French Open qualifying on Tuesday.World number 156 Watson lost 6-3 5-7 6-1 to Croatia's 214th-ranked Antonia Ruzic.In the men's tournament, Ryan Peniston fell 6-1 6-7 (5-7) 6-2 to American second seed JJ Wolf.Oliver Crawford, who switched nationality to Britain from the United States in January, was beaten 6-7 (4-7) 6-4 6-2 by Li Tu of Australia.The defeats mean Billy Harris is the sole Briton remaining in qualifying for the clay-court Grand Slam, which begins in Paris on Sunday.Harris will face France's Manuel Guinard in the second round on Wednesday. Related TopicsTennis

‘I want to be part of history’ – discover the real Alcaraz

Getty Images13 minutes agoCarlos Alcaraz has made no secret of his ultimate career goal: to be the greatest tennis player of all time.The 21-year-old Spaniard knows, of course, he is a long way from getting anywhere near the records set by Novak Djokovic.But, having won two majors as a teenager and become the youngest men's world number one in history, he has made a promising start.Asked by BBC tennis correspondent Russell Fuller if he is still targeting Djokovic's all-time leading tally of 24 major titles, Alcaraz's answer is instant: "Yes, of course. I am an ambitious guy."I know it is almost impossible to break Novak's records but I’m playing tennis for myself, for joy and I want to do great things."I want to be part of tennis history."Over the next fortnight, Alcaraz will bid for a first French Open title on the clay surface he grew up playing on.With the Grand Slam beginning on Sunday, BBC Radio 5 Live has spoken to Alcaraz and those closest to him to find out what makes one of the most exciting talents in tennis tick."What I like most is him thinking big and not just thinking small," said Alcaraz's coach Juan Carlos Ferrero."To be one of the greatest you have to think big. "It’s going to be very hard to break records but we’re here to try to do as well as we can."Alcaraz had been touted as a future Grand Slam champion from a young age, with his reputation in his hometown of Murcia quickly spreading.Kiko Navarro, his first coach, realised he had "a very special player" on his hands after seeing Alcaraz play aged five.Jesus Garcia Pardo, nine years older than the prodigious youngster and an aspiring professional, was "left speechless" by a 10-year-old Alcaraz."All his strokes were special," said Pardo, who became Alcaraz's hitting partner. "He played with no fear, no matter who was on the other side of the net. That helped him make it to the top."Aged 11, Alcaraz was identified as a potential superstar by agent Albert Molina. Four years later, Molina enlisted the help of former world number one Ferrero.Ferrero has nurtured Alcaraz ever since, helping his protege fulfil the potential first shown on the clay courts of El Palmar.Aged 19, Alcaraz claimed his first major at the 2022 US Open, and last year ended Djokovic's dominance to win Wimbledon - despite having barely played on grass.Transferring his ability across surfaces has been another sign of Alcaraz's talent."I think his best surface right now is a hard court," said Ferrero."He’s developed on these courts but we cannot avoid [that] the clay court is where he was born."I think he will win Roland Garros at least once - he has the game to do it."Listen to The Real Carlos Alcaraz on BBC Radio 5 Live from 21:00-22:00 BST on Tuesday, 21 May or download as a podcast on BBC Sounds.Related TopicsTennis

Murray on brink of defeat before weather intervenes

EPA53 minutes agoAndy Murray was on the brink of a first-round defeat by Yannick Hanfmann at the Geneva Open before play was suspended because of bizarre weather conditions.The former world number one was trailing 7-5 4-1 in Switzerland when rain started to fall and gusts of wind blew white pollen on to the court."It's like it's snowing out here and you still want us to keep playing," Murray argued with umpire Greg Allensworth before it was decided the players should return to the locker room.Play was cancelled for the day shortly after, and Murray's match was rescheduled for Tuesday - not before 12:00 BST. Fellow Briton Jack Draper's match against Czech Tomas Machac has also been moved to Tuesday.Wildcard Murray was playing his first ATP Tour-level match since rupturing ankle ligaments at the Miami Open in March.Unless he can produce a remarkable comeback against Germany's Hanfmann, the Scot will miss the chance to play world number one Novak Djokovic in the second round.Last week, 37-year-old Murray made his return at a clay-court ATP Challenger event in Bordeaux after rupturing ankle ligaments in March, but was knocked out in the second round by Frenchman Gregoire Barrere.The three-time Grand Slam champion has previously said he does not plan to "play much past this summer", but has not announced where his final tournament will be.Murray, who is ranked 75th in the world, has been named on the entry list for the French Open, the second major of the season, which starts on 26 May.Related TopicsTennis

McKibbin to play first major after reaching US Open

Getty Images1 hour agoNorthern Ireland's Tom McKibbin will make his first appearance in a major after qualifying for next month's US Open.The 21-year-old birdied five of the last seven holes in his second round in the final qualifier at Walton Abbey to secure one of the nine spots available.McKibbin carded rounds of 69 and 67 to finish tied sixth on eight under along with Edoardo Molinari, Jason Scrivener and Matteo Manassero.Scotland's Grant Forrest topped the leaderboard with English pair Richard Mansell and Brandon Robinson Thompson on 10 under.They were followed by Sam Bairstow and Robert Rock on nine under.The US Open will take place at Pinehurst in North Carolina on 13-16 June.McKibbin, who has chalked up one win on the DP World Tour, missed out on qualifying for last year's US Open by one shot. Related TopicsGolfNorthern Ireland Sport

Scheffler court date pushed back after arrest

Getty Images1 hour agoScottie Scheffler's court date has been delayed until 3 June following his arrest during the US PGA Championship at Valhalla last week.The 27-year-old was arrested on Friday 17 May after trying to drive into Valhalla Golf Club in heavy traffic and his arraignment date had been set for Tuesday, 21 May.Scheffler was charged with second-degree assault, third-degree criminal mischief, reckless driving and disregarding traffic signals from an officer.All charges, which Scheffler denies, still appear on the docket. Play at the event was delayed by 80 minutes on Friday because of an accident near the course, which saw a pedestrian killed after being hit by a shuttle bus. The accident caused heavy traffic, forcing some to abandon their cars on the motorway. Scheffler, who was not involved in the accident, reportedly attempted to avoid the scene before being stopped by police. The American was released in time for his second round at the PGA Championship, with the world number one describing the incident as a "big misunderstanding". "This morning, I was proceeding as directed by police officers," Scheffler said."It was a very chaotic situation, understandably so considering the tragic accident that had occurred earlier, and there was a big misunderstanding of what I thought I was being asked to do."Scheffler's lawyer Steve Romines said "multiple eyewitnesses confirmed that he did not do anything wrong but was simply proceeding as directed".Videos of the scene outside the course in Louisville, Kentucky, showed Scheffler handcuffed and being guided into the back of a police car.Police later published a report into the incident which said the officer who attempted to prevent Scheffler from entering the course in his car was dragged to the ground and suffered "pain, swelling and abrasions" to his left wrist and knee.Related TopicsGolf

Latest news

- Advertisement -